Unmasking Halloween: Sociology

I feel like this issue really doesn’t need to go to the media outlets. This issue can be handled without other people getting involved, I feel like this can be resolved with the teachers sitting down and explaining their side of the story and how there was obviously a miscommunication between the principal and Kim Petrowski. However, in this situation that is presented if Kim did go to the media I would hope the school board would take both sides to consideration. The media these days can present information in very one-sided way, sometimes the information can be told in a way where it’s not true. Or over-exaggerating information so it can seem negative towards the person/party it is talking about. Yes, in many ways the media can be great source in communicating real and important issues going on in the world. It can present global issues that many people aren’t aware of and shine light to what is really going on. For example, the issue with the farmers in India, the media has helped with shining light on the concerns that are going on in India and making people aware about what is happening. I personally don’t see this issue to be that drastic where it should go to the media, but I know if it did the teachers would probably be put in a compromising position. I would hope the school board would make a fair and correct decision where both parties are happy. 

Let them eat Cake: History

I believe that libraries play such a crucial role in a student development and thinking. I think they still play huge roles in schools, I feel like technology and media is taking over a lot of things in our lives but I don’t think libraries are replaceable. I think librarians have such great knowledge to pass on to students, most of them have been around books for many years and can suggest books to students that would fit what they like. I know when I was in elementary school my librarian knew what I liked to read and always suggested the most amazing books. I enjoyed reading then and felt like every book I read made me want to read more, which made me excited to see my librarian every week! Just having that 1 on 1 time with my librarian was so beneficial in my learning, she taught me different ways on interpreting the viewpoints of a novel, she gave me history lessons on some novels I just read and much more. I think just having that time with another adult can be a great tool in learning, it gives students another perspective to think about. I know in schools now libraries do much more then suggesting books, they provide unique activities. The school I volunteered at the librarian set up an hour activity for the students to build their own robot! It was neat to see how invested the students were in building this, it seemed like they really enjoyed this activity !

A Stitch in Time: Implications for Practice

I want to start a foundation of trust right from the beginning of the school year. I want to make sure my students understand that I don’t tolerate any bullying in my class, and I also want them to know that they can talk to me about anything. I want to make sure my students know that I will always be there for them no matter what the situation. Once you start off with an open relationship with your students they begin to trust you and end up sharing their concerns with you.  With my student’s parents I want them to understand that my main concern is their children, and my number one priority is that their safe. I want to build a trusting foundation with them where they can come and talk to me about things that are concerning them in the classroom. I feel like the biggest attribute in a student’s success is having that relationship with their parents, making sure that you have a mutual understanding that the student comes first in any situation. In the story I felt like there was no communication set by the teacher when it came to Kyle’s dad, he should have been regularly communicated with to what was going on in the classroom if there was issues. Maybe then he wouldn’t have acted the way he did and blamed Jayce off the bat. 

• This assignment really taught me how to always be aware of everyone’s feelings and perspectives. You always need to a look a bit deeper into a situation and never assume the first story told is right.